Monday, July 23, 2007

In the Wee Hours of the Morning

Walgreen’s is open twenty-four hours a day seven days a week. This means that if you’re an insomniac, or just don’t generally have the luxury of being able to sleep as much as you’d occasionally like, Walgreen’s is the place to be. Walgreen’s has snacks, toys, various cleaning solutions, a card section, and well its open twenty-four hours. The actual beauty of the twenty-four hour concept is only found when you go to one of these wonderful places in the wee hours of the morning, say three or four o’clock. The caveat is that you have to go with the right people (most likely fellow insomniacs) to fully enjoy the ridiculous nature of going to Walgreen’s at three or four o’clock in the morning.

So there I was at three o’clock in the morning with three of the most random people I had ever met in my entire life. We get out of the car, and one of the girls says, “Hey you guys, do you like my shirt?” I look at it, and it’s green with a panda on it. The panda has airplanes or something in its hand and its crushing them or something like that. She then continues after an awkward pause, “Do you get it? It’s panda-monium!” and then proceeds to break into laughter. The rest of us sort of laugh along with her, just because she seems so excited about it, and also probably because it was in fact a pretty ridiculous notion for a shirt.

I found out that Walgreen’s sold so many different things, by these random people pointing them out to me. The girl without the panda-monium shirt felt that I would feel comfortable by pointing out a display of candles with the face of Jesus on them. I more than was comfortable with it, I thought it was hilarious. The boy with us by the time we next met up with him happened to stumble across shoe holders (those things that keep your dress shoes all nice and formed correctly whatever the proper name may be) and gorilla glue (glue that was supposed to be so strong it could hold a gorilla, or something like that). I didn’t even know that those things were sold at Walgreen’s but apparently they are because he had every intention of buying them, and I believe did end up buying them because he felt that he needed to. I suppose this happens a lot when it’s three o’clock in the morning, you begin to think that you need things that you’ve never thought of or knew existed in your entire life.