Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Smile.

Bob Marley had this vision, much like a virologist. He thought that you could cure racism and hate by injecting love and music. …He said, the people that are trying to make this world a darker place aren’t taking a day off today. So neither am I. …Light up the darkness.

I almost left a secret in a book today. It was written on a post it that I had in my bag reminding me of the most terrifying appointment I never kept. But I didn’t leave that secret. I did something else. I wrote “Love” in the book. I don’t really know what compelled me to do so. Especially since so many people would see it as a form of vandalism. I wrote it anyway. I think it’s because it’s what everyone needs. Well, and wants.

The truth of it is that I never had to keep that terrifying appointment. Things just sort of took care of themselves. I felt so relieved and so ashamed at the same time. That’s when I decided to go away. I went to a place where no one knew me. Where I had no past and no real future to speak of. I just had the present. A lot of people would say that the present is a gift. But I think that’s only sometimes true. But at this moment, this very second in time, all I can think of is hope. Giving hope through love. And I know it sounds really hippie, but I mostly think that it’s really true. We become the very best versions of ourselves with a little love.

So I vandalized a book. I broke a rule in the hope of making someone’s day a little better, but maybe even, saving a life. You don’t have to be a doctor to save people on a daily basis. You can just be kind.

I hope what I did helps. I hope people will read it and people will realize how easy it is to make a difference. If there is no other purpose in this world and if there is no other lesson I have learned other than to just love, that is just fine. Because I think it is the rare simplicities of this world that people are able to find something to live for, and if they’re really lucky, something to love.

P.S. That first paragraph is from "I Am Legend."

No comments: