Tuesday, December 2, 2008

This ain't Hollywood, this is a small town.

Four years ago Thanksgiving came only about two months after I had first moved. And being as I was so completely homesick, I had already been back a few times before then. That first thanksgiving trip back home I turned eighteen, had a big party, saw family, did everything my Mom told me etc. It was if nothing had really changed.

I go home a lot less now, though I try to be there for my family whenever they really need me, or want me home. This is what I found, everyone and everything is different yet very much the same. There was a remodel of the one mall in my hometown, a Super Wal-Mart built, a BJ’s built, everyone from my graduating class is 21, and there have been a few more stoplights installed. But driving around town, I was reminded of all the reasons why I moved. You see the same people you grew up with all around town, every single place you go. You can drive from edge part of town to the other in under 20 minutes. And there are a total of eight exits along the one freeway that goes through town.

But as much as I love to talk shit about where I’m from, I am so thankful for being born and raised there.

I have a huge family. My Mom’s side has ten children therefore I have tons of cousins. The amazing thing is that me and all of my cousins get along really well and are pretty close for not seeing each other very often. We realize that although our mothers are pretty much insane, we came out alright, which is pretty good considering all that each of us went through. On top of having tons of cousins, many of them are married and have their own children which just makes the family even bigger.
And I’m so lucky because of it. I know that whatever I do, or wherever I go, I have this group of people who will love me and be there for me no matter what. My family is insane and tons of drama, but I love them, if for nothing else, our amazing stories.

Then there are the people I went to high school with. I made a toast to being a part of the best class to ever come out of Modesto. And I meant it. I moved away with the intention of letting go of everything and everyone in that town. But honestly, the group of people I went to high school with (who were in literally every single one of my classes for four years) are some of the best people I know. I looked around the table and just thought to myself, these are the people who give others hope for the world. They are kind, generous, ridiculously intelligent, and loyal among many other qualities. We have all been there for each other for at least eight years now, which I just think is remarkable.

So while I still think I was never really made for a small town, and I got out of there as soon as I could, I wouldn’t trade my hometown for anywhere else in the world. Because it’s the people that make it anything worthwhile. And good ol’ Modesto, California has a lot of very, very good people.

Thank to everyone who made this year’s Thanksgiving amazing.

No comments: