Thursday, April 17, 2008

Greg and Tess

I'm taking a dramatic writing class this quarter, and it's a tad challenging due to the fact that I write fiction, not plays or screenplays. But the class gave me good reviews on my first attempt. Here it goes:

Greg
So where were you today?

Tess
I told you, I went to lunch with the girls.

Greg
All day? Did you guys hang out after too or something?

Tess
Um, well after lunch I went out for a little bit.

Greg
It’s nine o’clock Tess. You’ve been out for like twelve hours.

Tess
No I went out at like ten…so it was only like eleven hours. (begins to straddle him in his seat, kiss his neck, talk in baby talk, etc.)

Greg
(He stops her, and holds her away at shoulder‘s length) Teresa, stop being cute, I was worried.

Tess
Shit…okay honey, I’m sorry God…(gets off him and walks into the bathroom, Greg follows her and leans against the doorway as she takes off her make-up)

Greg
I called Jules, she said you got out of lunch at one.

Tess
Yeah, we did.

Greg
She also said you didn’t want to go shopping with Maggie afterwards.

Tess
Yeah, I wasn’t really in the mood. Plus I’ve been spending too much money lately. So you should be proud of my self-restraint. Why are you all concerned with where I go all of the sudden anyway?

Greg
Straight up? (she nods) Okay, like I said before I was really worried and it was getting late and you weren’t here so-(she interrupts him)

Tess
Aw, how cute you were worried about me. (She puts her arms around his neck and begins to kiss him)

Greg
(smiles as she kisses him, but then pushes her away again) Tess, come on, just tell me where you were.

Tess
(arms still wrapped around him) Ugh, okay, since it’s not a big deal, I went to McMillan’s office. (begins to kiss him again)

Greg
(stops kissing and holds her away from him) McMillan’s office?

Tess
Yeah.

Greg
Dr. McMillan? The friendly neighborhood oncologist?!

Tess
Yeah. It was just a little check up, whatever, then I went to get some coffee and write a bit at the cafĂ© around the corner from his place and now I’m here.

Greg
Little check ups are not “whatever” and definitely don’t happen at ONCOLOGY offices.

Tess
Yeah they do. And how the hell would you know anything about it anyway?

Greg
Because I talked to Robert and he said you were having a round of chemo. (Tess immediately stops what she’s doing) So are you going to tell me what’s going on now?
(Tess is quiet, she pushes past him and heads to the kitchen, she leans against the sink looking for a way out of their conversation)

Greg
Don’t do this Tess. Don’t shut me out, you need to talk to me. We have a life together now. (She begins to wash the dishes, he shuts of the water, furious.) Damnit Tess! Talk to me!

Tess
(She turns the water back on and begins washing the dishes again) Gregory Capana, why are these dishes just sitting in the sink?

Greg
(Attempting to be calm but still apparently furious) Teresa look at me.

Tess
I’m cleaning up after you, can’t you be more appreciative?

Greg
Tess, just turn around. (He starts to rub her back)

Tess
It’s really not that hard to put dishes in the dishwasher. (She’s beginning to break down.)

Greg
Tess…

Tess
I mean you eat something, and then you fucking clean it. It’s that simple, and some dumbasses can’t even do stupid simple shit like that. It’s not like I’m asking you to become a servant or some shit like that. I just hate always having to be the Mom here. (the last few words are staggered as Tess is trying not to cry)

Greg
(he finally gets to her and holds her hands in his and puts dishes down, and turns off the water. Tess begins to cry, he turns her to face him) Talk to me.

Tess
FUCK! (she breaks down, he holds her) Last month, remember when I had my annual, it was all routine you know, they do the normal tests and whatever.

Greg
Mhm…yeah I remember

Tess
Then a week later they tell me I need to come in right away, but they didn’t tell me what for. So, I go in and um…(she tries to hold back her tears) they have the results of my tests…

Greg
yeah…

Tess
And um… (she pauses) it’s back.

Greg
Oh God, Tess… (he holds her more tightly, she semi-pushes him away)

Tess
Greggy, there was more.

Greg
Okay what?

Tess
I was supposed to have my first round of chemo today, just like Robert told you, but I decided not to.

Greg
What?!

Tess
Greg, just listen to me. (she sighs and tries to pace herself as she speaks) I didn’t tell you where I was going today because I didn’t want you to know, that (she pauses) it’s stage five. The chemo would’ve been useless anyway.

Greg
What?! Why didn’t you tell me all this before?!

Tess
How the fuck was I supposed to tell my fiance that even though I love him so much, and have been looking forward to becoming his wife for two years, a wedding would just be a waste of moeny! Huh?! I mean I could be gone in a year! I just…I love you Greg! And I didn’t want to put you through all this again.

Greg
All what?! All this shit that I already have to go through anyway?!

Tess
YES! All this shit! All this FUCKED UP SHIT! God Greg, I’m FUCKING DYING! Okay?! Happy?! Now you know everything! Woopdie doo! I told you, and now you’re hurt, and sad and whatever. But you know what? Fuck you! You’re not even the one dealing with ANYTHING! I’M dying. ME! I’m twenty-four fucking years old, I thought I beat it, and I was so FUCKING happy! And pretentious, and now I AM DYING! (lets out a big sigh as she just bursts into tears. Greg holds her as she tries to resist, and then finally gives in) I’m dying, Greg. (She whispers between sobs)

Greg
(holding her and trying to console her) I know, honey, I know. Shh..

Voice Over
Then he told me the nicest lie any girl could ask for.

Greg
You’re going to be fine. Everything’s going to be ok.

Voice Over
All I could think was, no, it’s not. In reality nothing’s going to be okay, and we both knew that. But I gave in to the lie because of how perfect it sounded.

Tess
Promise?

Greg
I Promise. (He kisses her)

No comments: