Thursday, September 25, 2008

Belief (2)

***So okay...I got some comments on the last post, so I decided to post a bit more of what the last one was. Same assignment, same class, just more of what came before it.

I believe that you have to find what makes you happy and do it. I think that believing I was supposed to be a doctor because it’s what my parents wanted of me was stupid. I think pursuing a career of anyone else’s choice but your own is stupid. I think that pursuing a career just because you think you’ll make some great fortune is stupid. I think that all of those reasons will merely result in you hating your job, and thus hating your life, enabling you to take this hate out on other people. I know that finding what makes you happy is the hardest thing to do, but that is what makes it worth it. I also know that it can take a very, very long time to find it, and that for many you have to spend a few years hating your job until you realize your calling. But once you find it, whether its running a huge corporation, or singing, or being a Mother, don’t ignore it, don’t let it go.

I believe it’s okay to make mistakes, but not okay to have regrets. Regrets are what happen when we don’t let go. If you can’t let go and learn from your mistakes, you’ll just end up making yourself sick. Mistakes add character, they are what make us who we are. If we were all perfect, we’d all be bored. If I was never a complete bitch in high school, I wouldn’t be able to have something to learn and grow from. Another very difficult part of life is letting go of your mistakes and not allowing them to turn into regrets, but you must. We must all move on, and we must all learn.

I would like to believe that people are inherently good, but I can’t. If people were inherently good, we wouldn’t have to work as hard to be nice. I think that people have to learn to be good people. People learn these things through family, through experience, and through interaction with others. I don’t think that babies are born and are evil, although at times it can definitely seem that way. But babies are innocent, and depending on when one loses that wide-eyed innocence is when the good is lost, and must be rebuilt and relearned. I don’t think that it’s a bad thing that people aren’t inherently good. I think that relearning goodness is one of the best experiences we can have. Because while we can never get our innocence back, kindness can be learned, which is as close to innocence as we can get.

I believe that strangers can change your life. I can honestly say that there are people I have never met who are the reason I am alive today. Characters in books, or movies, or tv shows, or even just random acts of kindness witnessed in a grocery store, can change our lives. We learn from them, we witness their benevolence from afar and are thus more able to appreciate it. It’s always harder to tell your deepest secrets to close friends or family than complete strangers. Because strangers don’t judge you, or if they do you’ll never know it because they’re mere passersby. It is the beauty of living in such a vast world. You will never be able to meet everyone in the country, let alone the world. Therefore the realization of the smallness of ourselves in comparison to the greatness of the world, helps us to be better people.

I believe that education is ridiculously important. This doesn’t have to be in a classroom. It can be in a church, or a temple, or a mosque, or a street corner, or a home, or even a bar. But I think that we should never, ever stop learning, nor should we feel greater than anyone else for being "traditionally educated." The greatest part of college is that you learn many different subjects, though you focus on one discipline, and you simultaneously learn so much about yourself. I think that people need to read more and watch television less, that people should listen to all sorts of music rather than just the songs that they can shake their asses to. I think that people should stop using text message lingo in real life speech, thus stopping the disintegration of the English language.

No comments: